Parks


Fort George

A peaceful tribute and memorial park.

Fort George is a tree-filled, fenced-in, park-like area about the size of four building lots in the 1200 block of Floyd Street. It is a memorial to Revolutionary War Captain George Gray and his wife, The Toonerville Neighborhood Association bought Fort George from a private entity in 2009 and arranged for a ground penetrating radar survey which revealed the probable location of the graves of George and Mildred Gray. For more information about the history of Fort George visit fortgeorge.org.

Park Address:

1260 South Floyd Street
Louisville, KY 40203

Year Acquired: 

2009

Park Hours: 

6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Size: 

.49 acres

Amenities: 

  • Fenced Dog Run

  • Multi-purpose Field

 

Toonerville Trolley Park

Where Toonerville families meet.

Toonerville Trolley Park was incorporated into the Metro Parks’ system in 1978. It is located on the eastern edge of the Old Louisville neighborhood at the intersection of Brook and Oak streets. It is a small urban park, covering approximately two acres with a majority of the park tucked in the center of the surrounding houses. There is currently a small playground and a tennis court in the park.

Park Address: 

1215 South Brook Street
Louisville, KY 40203

Park Map: 

toonerville_trolley_web.pdf

Year Acquired: 

1978

Park Hours: 

6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Size: 

2 acres

Amenities: 

  • Fenced Dog Run

  • Multi-purpose Field

  • Playground

 

Old Louisville Dog Run

Old Louisville’s only official dog run!

In the heart of Old Louisville, the dog run is located in the Toonerville Trolley Park at the intersection of Oak Street and Brook Street. The Louisville Dog Run Association, Toonerville Trolley Neighborhood Association, and Louisville Metro Parks worked together to establish the Old Louisville Dog Run. The dog run consists of two 100' x 115' areas, one built over the old tennis court and the other on the grassy area at the back of the park. For information about other Louisville Dog Runs and Louisville Dog Run Association visit louisvilledogs.netfirms.com.

Park Address:

1215 South Brook Street
Louisville, KY 40203

Year Acquired: 

2009

Park Hours: 

6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Size: 

.53 acres

Amenities: 

  • Dog Run

 

Old Louisville Community Garden

Growing Community.

The Old Louisville Community Garden was established in 2013 when two members of our garden leadership, Jean Christensen and Karen Mullen, saw a lot that was covered with trash right next to a planned kids playground. They requested to use the land at the permission of the owner, Dan Borsch. From the garden’s inception, we wanted the garden to be a place not only for the gardeners, but also the community members. To that end, community gardeners have installed edible borders (with thornless blackberries, raspberries, and native chokeberries), benches and a picnic table (which anyone may use), and a Monarch Waystation and pollinator garden to help our neighbors’ and the park’s horticulture to benefit from the presence of healthy and happy pollinators. The edible borders, in particular, was planted to encourage children who come to the recently built playground (merely a city plan five years ago) to learn about plants, gardening, and healthy eating.

Park Address: 

1221 South Brook Street
Louisville, KY 40203

Year Acquired: 

2013

Park Hours: 

6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Size: 

2 acres

Amenities: 

  • Gardens

  • Picnic Area

 

Magnolia Park

Park catch phrase.

Summarize history/significance of park.

Park Address:

1407 South Second Street
Louisville, KY 40208

Park Map: 

magnolia_web.pdf

Year Acquired: 

1980

Park Hours: 

6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Size: 

less than one acre

Amenities: 

  • Picnic Shelter

  • Playground

 

Central Park

An Olmsted Park.

Designed by the Olmsted brothers, the sixteen acre Central Park in Old Louisville was purchased from the DuPont family in 1904. Originally designed and can currently be described as a green oasis within the urban fabric of Old Louisville. It is characterized by elaborate walkways and border plantings. The Olmsted Brothers’ design for the pergola was for it to be a visual accent but also a magnetic attraction for visitors to walk into the park and discover its beauty. For information about the Olmsted Parks Conservancy work to restore, enhance and forever protect Central Park visit https://www.olmstedparks.org/our-parks/central-park/.

Central Park is also home to the annual summer performances of William Shakespeare which have been held in the amphitheater since 1960.

Park Address: 

1340 South 4th Street
Louisville, KY 40208

Park Map: 

central_web.pdf

Year Acquired: 

1903

Facilities: 

  • Central Park's C. Douglass Ramey Amphitheater hosts free summer Shakesperian performances.

  • The Old Louisville Information Center provides meeting space for neighborhood groups.

  • The Louisville Metro Police Department's 4th Division operates from Central Park.

Park Hours: 

6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Size: 

16.67 acres

Amenities: 

  • Amphitheater

  • Arbor

  • Memorial

  • Pergola

  • Picnic Table

  • Playground

  • Restrooms

  • Sprayground

  • Tennis

  • Volleyball